Thursday, May 15, 2014

NICU nights and cookies!


I'm on NICU and tonight will be my final night before switching back to days. So far it has been an okay month. It started off kind of slow and I was a wee bit bored but then I switched to nights and like all my other rotations on nights I kind of like it. The autonomy, the ability to talk to parents, the quiet, yada, yada.

I'm NOT loving the being woken to a sound of the pager and having approximately one minute to wake up from dead asleep and sprint to delivery to help with baby resuscitation. Jarring and scary and not fun. But otherwise, NICU is okay. Minus the math.

One more month of intern year. It was hard and not that bad and awful and great - depending upon the day, the moment, the month. But I've made it (well almost) I signed my contract for next year so I would have to really mess up now to NOT be a PGY-2 in just 45 short days. Woo hoo!

That is all I've got. Oh and it is national chocolate chip cookie day so I need to go bake. Recipe lifted from some blog way back in my med school days. I tried quite a few and think this one really is closest to the coveted Doubletree cookies. Enjoy!

1/2 cup rolled oats 
 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 
 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened 
 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed 
 3/4 cup granulated sugar 
 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 
 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice 
 2 eggs 
 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 
 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts 

 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
 2. Grind oats in a food processor or blender until fine. Combine the ground oats with the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. 
 3. Cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla, and lemon juice in another medium bowl with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix until smooth. 
 4. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and blend well. Add the chocolate chips and nuts to the dough and mix by hand until ingredients are well-incorporated. 
 5. Spoon rounded 1/4-cup portions onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Place the scoops about 2 inches apart. You don't need to press the dough flat. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until cookies are light brown and soft in the middle. Store in a sealed container when cool to keep soft. For the best results, chill the dough overnight in the refrigerator before baking the cookies. Makes 20 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment